In the quest to green your world, every One Green Thing you do matters. Not sure where to start? Try one of these super-easy—yet super-effective ways—to start greening your world, your way.
1. Bring your own mug to work.
Easy peasy, right? And yet, Americans throw out 25,000 Styrofoam cups each year, according to the EPA. Turn the tide, one cool reusable mug at a time. (We’re thinking this sassy EcoMyths mug would do the trick!)
2. Use a power strip. You can buy one on Amazon* for $10.
Why can’t you just turn off an appliance and call it a day? From your coffee pot to your computer, plenty of products still suck power even when they’re not on. The Tripp Lite surge protector strip does the trick. (Psst: for more intel on energy suckers, read the vampire power myth.)
3. Wash your hands of antibacterial soap.
Antibac products don’t get your hands any cleaner than regular soap, but they do dirty up our waterways. Opt for good ol’ fashioned, plain soaps that don’t contain triclosan or triclocarban in its ingredient list. (Read the Antibac Myth for the full dish.)
4. Drink filtered tap water instead of bottled.
Filtering tap water can make it as clean as bottled water—at a fraction of the price. It also reduces our plastic pollution—woot! The type to buy depends on the contaminants in your local water, but here are some good options to consider: ZeroWater pitcher, PUR Advanced Faucet Water Filter, and the Whirlpool reverse osmosis filtration system. Visit EWG to find out what’s best in your area.
5. Go outside, like, now.
Spending time in the great outdoors is simply good for your health. Whether you use your time hugging a tree (which is cooler than you may think!), getting artsy, or just looking more closely at an interesting (not scary) bug, experiencing nature is an important, and fun, first step in greening our world. Oh, and word to the wise: Don’t forget your binoculars.
* These links take you to our Amazon Associates page, where if you buy the product, EcoMyths gets a portion of the proceeds. That’s a two-pointer for your OneGreenThing! See something else you’d like at Amazon? Mark us as your nonprof of choice when you shop at AmazonSmile.